Sunday, June 10, 2007

The kitchen: before & after

The day we bought our house (November 17, 2006) the kitchen looked like this:






















Now, although we loved that linoleum, we ripped in up in an attempt to liberate the hardwood underneath. We soon found out that the project was going to have to wait (house goals change when you find out a baby's coming) so we tiled the mess of hardwood and tar.

















This touch helped. For a while. Lately, I've been a little restless and somewhat concerned about the fate of our fine house. I decided I needed to do something to get things rolling and since I can't hang dry wall. I decided I would begin my very own project: the kitchen. We'd already spent about $50 on the tiles. I didn't want to spend too much money on anything for the kitchen because we're hoping to get it totally renovated in two or three years, so why pay big bucks for something we may get rid of in a couple of years. So I started with paint and let the ideas follow. Oh, it's important point out here that I did not share any of my plans with Andrew. I just started. He's a very trusting husband! He asked no questions, just watched the daily changes. We're both very happy with the results!





























And I was able to keep the costs low:
1 bucket of white paint: $12.97
1 bucket of turquoise paint (the actual name isn't so simple so I can't remember it!): $15.00 [but free for us thanks to my super sweet co-worker Betty!!]
1 can of silver spray paint: $3.97
1 roll of contact paper: $5.99
3 lights for under the cabinets: $15.00

So including the previously spent money on the floor, Out new kitchen only cost $87.93!



The before and after:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I love it! The blue and white look sharp. I can't wait to see it in person this August.
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous!!! So few people want to talk about this stuff with me...I'm so glad I found your blog. I just re-did Michael's office for him as a father's day surprise and now I think I've got the bug!!

Stacey Greenberg said...

wow--it looks GREAT! but you did something to the counter tops too--that's not just a paint job is it?

Anonymous said...

Oh no. That's where the five dollar contact paper is- It looks like dark hardwood. Andrew then painted it with the stuff they use to protect wood bars in restaurants- looks even better now!!